Compost Books

This is a blog about my activities composting books. I may post about compost issues or book issues as I see fit. I would say this blog is about taking certain books I encounter and placing them in my compost heap in my back yard. So I call it Compost Books. I compost books that suck or that are falling apart.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

The Next Compost Book Will NOT Be God Bless You Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I have a 1965 hardback edition of this book; all the pages are intact but the cover is falling off. It is apparently a copy that once belonged to the Fullerton Public Library in Fullerton, California, and there is an empty card envelope in the front cover. There is also a stamp that says it is no longer the property of said library.

I didn't think this was that great a book. It's nihilistic view and leftwing politics really bog it down for me but I know people go for that stuff so whatever. Vonnegut knows how to write so the book moves along, and it's generally amusing and entertaining. The ending seems like a contrived punchline to a not very funny joke - probably intentional by Vonnegut. Deep!

I read this book on a dreadful trip to Hutchinson, Kansas, and I suppose that I turned to the book as escape reading - and it delivered that and the classic line about Rosewater, Ohio, " . . .shithouses, shacks, alcoholism, ignorance, idiocy and perversion . . ." - all too applicable to good ole Hutch.

I thought this book was in worse shape and considered putting it on the heap but decided against it. I came really close though, so I think it merits a post.

PURE COMPOST NOTE: My compost heap is warm, moist and filled with hungry worms. It's been raining every few days in Austin, Texas, so between soaking rains and 95 degree sunshine, I bet the pile rots down a tenth of an inch a day.

Lots of summertime kitchen leftovers hitting the pile - strawberry stems, melon rinds, broccoli, salsa leftovers, tomato cores. We'll trim some ornamental plants this weekend that are growing over the sidewalk, and there will be grass clippings for sure.

My point? I can't believe there's much left of City Wars or The Stand now. But if my shovel turns something over I will snap some pics.

WINCHOICE PRESIDENTIAL WINNABILITY INDEX NOTE:

Look for a new update this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home